A 10-Point Plan for (Without Being Overwhelmed)

Addictions and Genetics

There are many people who have to live fighting a form of addiction. When they get to have kids, they shall wonder whether their addiction was passed down to them. Here is more info on the nature of addictions in families.
Addictions are unfortunately genetic. When kids whose parents were once heavy addicts get to teenage years, their likelihood of also succumbing is high. This addiction can be blamed on genetics and behavior. Therefore, apart from genetics, behavior is another important determinant. How you behave, and how your kids choose to also behave has a bearing on how they will be in future. Children tend to ape their parents.
When you look at the DNA in human beings, you will find that we are similar up to 99.9% of ourselves. The only differences in our DNA are summed up in the other 0.1%. With such a small margin, there is a lot that shall be similar especially among family members. Traits such as diseases, and even addictions are therefore not that hard for you to copy from each other. If you are fighting an addiction, you are right to worry about what changes your child stands.
You can also see how behavior has more to lend to an addiction. Your behavior in front of your child goes deeper than is apparent. Those who use drugs or alcohol never miss some of it around them. This also places it near their kids. They shall, therefore, have an easier time getting to use it this way. There is also the fact that this kid is being raised by an addict. You cannot reasonably expect them to turn out the normal way, with an addiction being the easiest thing for them to adapt.
The good news is that such an environment also presents you with the first-hand experience of the destructive effects of an addiction. Some of those kids raised in such homes will not entertain the tough of an addiction, seeing as how it robbed them of so much joy growing up. They will, therefore, do their best to make sure that this does not become the story of their lives in the future. You therefore can help them in that resolve when you see them come of age, and put in place measures to ensure that this does not become their story.
You can take some time to talk to them about drug and alcohol addiction, and even tell them some of the things you went through because of your addiction. They will see just how bad things can get, and how easily they start. As much as there is a chance they are likely to inherit the bad habit from you, the right approach will see them better prepared to avoid such an outcome.
If you are struggling with an addiction, you can read more info on how to effectively deal with it here.